Monday, May 10, 2021

Overwhelming Gratitude

How do you write about things you never knew there were words for?  I know what happened...I know he's gone, I was there and I felt it.  But gosh, gone and died are terrible words to me now.  I know I have to say them-but I've had my mom make a dozen phone calls for me just I can say it a dozen less times.  

6 weeks and it's still so unbelievable.  I've said a thousand times that the last 3 weeks just went so fast-it was like watching a snowball roll down the hill and I almost yielded to the authority of it.  I couldn't stop it and it just got bigger and bigger.  

After the crowd left that Thursday and we planned the service, had the service, the burial--I expected radio silence to be waiting on the other side.  Fortunately, the Lord and you all have been so kind and have not left us. The overwhelming deliveries of gifts, plants and flowers.   I have learned so much about the incredibly creative ways to serve and love those that are hurting because of the way so many have served and loved us. 

How do I survive now?  I'm not even sure I know or have the credits to talk about it yet.  But I can tell you what makes some days bearable.   

  • I'm so grateful for the continued calls and texts.  For unexpected mail and gifts-that are encouraging beyond acknowledging the sadness but push me to want to continue to fight through the hard.
  • I'm grateful for the UPS store owner who walks around the countertop to hug me.
  • I'm grateful for the unexpected check ins from people who you might have thought wouldn't think of you--that overshadow the void of those you thought would. I'm grateful for the inadvertent healing that has happened in some of those relationships- just knowing that they care about me. 
  • I'm grateful for almost 13 years of marriage.  A marriage that I loved and didn't deserve.  The gospel doesn't promise marriage at all, let alone one in which you actually like each other.  I'm grateful for how he loved me and am reminded that he was only capable of loving an imperfect person that way because my God loves me that way.  
  • I woke up on Mother's Day overwhelmingly grateful that this man allowed me to be the kind of mom that I am.  That he trusted a 25 year old brat with his 14 year old daughter.  That he didn't try to talk me out of wanting babies even though he had a kid.  That he then trusted my discernment about these 5 Peruvian kids enough to at least ask the Lord for his own discernment.  I know so many stories enveloped in fighting and resentment that I just don't have. 
  • I'm grateful my kids saw that love.  That the demonstration of selfless commitment, while shorter than any of us wanted, is better than many I've seen for a lot more years!  The boys have joked they'll struggle to get married if they don't look at the girl the way Scott looked at me.  I love that!
  • I'm beyond grateful that he was mine at all.  That I got to walk this out with him as his person.  This is really hard, but I wouldn't have changed my answer to him years ago if I had known it would end this way.  We're not supposed to like it here; this is not our home.  And I'm just so happy Scott doesn't have to carry the weight of the world anymore.  

Gratitude is huge because it helps me fight for perspective.  We are really sad.  Like in a way I can't really put words to.  Some days the ache is so heavy.  Sometimes it sneaks up on you.  But nothing is off limits and we talk about him A LOT!   Good things, funny things, things we've learned, how he would have responded.  We talk about it all.  And we find ourselves recognizing that really what he gave us was a picture in skin of how God feels about us, what God would say.  He told me in a hard moment towards the end when talking about our kids "I've given them everything they need".  It annoyed me at the time honestly.  How can that be?  But the reality is, Scott was never going to tell them what job to take or who to marry.  He wasn't going to tell them what their identity is.  He was leading them to the One who made them and would teach them their identity--which way to go, how to hear Him, pointing to His Word and those promises.  He did give them what they would need.  

So this is how we're walking right now.  If you bump into one of us, you may literally bump into some rough feelings.  They're on our sleeves a lot of days. But not forgetting us, not being silent, is the best you can do.  And if you know someone else grieving, my encouragement is to reach out when you think of them.  We're not looking for words of wisdom or solutions--you don't have them.  But knowing you're thinking of someone when everyone has returned to their own lives is huge.  Send the text.  Make the call.  I'll tell you, I do it a lot more because I've experienced the weight of care.  The Bible says "Love covers a multitude of sins".  Thank God! 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, your story started before the foundation if the earth. It's overly obvious God orchestrated this and He plans to use your story to touch lives beyond your imagination. Keep journeying and consider your first book. Many, many need to hear God's story through you. I'm so touched and blessed and look forward to see what Gid us doing. I love your entire family with the love of the Lord. I can see in you the glory of my King!!

    ReplyDelete

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...