Monday, May 31, 2021

13 Years

 Yesterday would have been 13 years married.  It suddenly doesn't sound very long.  But then I look at pictures of those people that dated and we look so young, so different.  The years of friendship before--he was my favorite person for so long.  My first phone call, good or bad--my talk me off the ledger, help me processor, talk about nonsenser for much more than 13 years.  I miss his voice and his advice.  Our collaboration.  I can still feel his scruff on my cheek.  I'm scared to forget.

Really, the anniversary day was launched with days of high emotion prior.  We all walked into Sunday pretty raw.  But my kids made the day a priority--to spend time with me, to do things I wanted. Not because it was just my day, but because that's what Scott would have done.  So we fished and hung out and spent much of the day together.  They were cognizant of my emotions and my heart all weekend.  When theirs are jagged too, they worried about me. 

I tried hard to remember my wedding day.  To remember what I felt like that day.  To remember how he looked at me.  I remember he was so concerned that his haircut was too short.  It makes me laugh now.  It was no different than any other haircut he got for 20 years, but he wanted to look perfect. I remember it rained some that day, but not when it really mattered.  And that it cleared showing pink clouds, the color of pink in our wedding.  I remember how important it was to Scott that although seating was limited, that we invite the students we did ministry with.  One of those "kids" sent me a card this week, remembering our day.  I remember how at peace I was standing in the bridal house with my dad, waiting for my turn.  How it was all I ever wanted, to be so at peace on my wedding day, that I just couldn't wait to get down the aisle.  There were many unknowns.  But if he was the guy wasn't one of them.  

Sometimes the Enemy tells me that the way I believe Scott loved me was like a dream-not real-something I've made up.  And he'll slither in thoughts that in reality, God feels about me quite to the contrary of that love.  It will pop into my mind at the most unexpected time.  I know it isn't true.  The thoughts are so far fetched.  But when the Bible says he came to steal, kill, and destroy-I feel that.  He tries to steal my confidence and joy, he tries to kill my favorite memories and replace them with the hardest moments in vivid detail, and he attempts to destroy any semblance of hanging on that I have. 

I cannot let him.  He doesn't know everything, can't know my thoughts or my heart completely, and I refuse to let him steal from me.  Scott only loved me the way the Lord allowed him.  He only saw me as anything more than broken and sinful because God gave him insight to see what I could be, what my heart meant to do or say, and that I too was chasing the same God.  Only God could write this love story.  Only God can know the hearts of man.  Only God can love us fully.  Me fully.  Only God. 

I hang onto that.  That the hammock of safety I landed in each night that was Scott all these years, is still there in the Lord.  It was really always Him.  The hammock moves and sways with the uncertainty and chaos around me but its still the safe place to lay.  Sometimes its just a place to cry.  Sometimes all I can say is "God, you better be filling in the gaps.  You better still be here".  And He is.  Some days I see it better than others.  But what is faith if not knowing that what I believed to be true before, is still true now when I didn't get what I wanted.  "What's true in the light is still true in the dark" (Rend Collective lyrics, Weep With Me.). And it has to be, or it isn't true at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...