Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving day and it's safe to say that this year has been weird and hard for all of us.  Jobs lost, loved ones sick or gone, kids home more than ever, uncertainty...cancer.  It's a strange time.  But I woke up this morning and for some reason, it felt like Christmas morning to me.   My house was silent.  Scott was up early with me to get rolls to start rising.  And I just see things differently now. 

It's been the hardest 4 months of my life, hands down.  The months prior, the beginning of COVID, I could not have known how hard things were going to get.  How scary.  How uncertain.  But I also couldn't have predicted the absolute joy and love and support that would come from hanging on by a thread to my God and the way He has moved in His people to love us well.  I can't describe the daily feeling in my gut of fear surrounded by faith and prayers.  I can feel the fear overshadowed by some of you all praying specifically.  The way uncertainty and stress feels enveloped by encouragement and random acts of kindness and texts that lead me back to the One that holds me together.  It's hard to explain unless you've felt it.  

The update is that we are in the last week of Round 4 of chemo...and Scott has been to work more day this round than any other.  He looks strong, yet bald.  Different, but he's him.  I am more grateful for his health and time with him than I ever have been.  Every moment counts.  Sometimes tearful conversations you never wanted to have.  And sometimes him taking me shopping for "Hallmark coats" (don't ask) when he doesn't feel awesome.  He demonstrates Jesus to me daily. 

I am grateful for kids that want to be around us.  That eat with us and decorate for Christmas together.  Even when I know they feel the fear and uncertainty too.  I'm grateful that 8 years ago today, we boarded a plane with our 2 year old to go get 5 kids we'd never met in another country.  I'm overjoyed with the family God built for me.  He built something I could not have imagined I even wanted.

And in a way, that's what He's doing with cancer.  He is stretching our faith and our relationships with everyone around us.  Because we don't do fluffy much anymore!  If you want to talk about the weather, we are not your people! We are constantly pressing in to good things! He is building something in me that I don't want some days.  He is reminding me that this is not my home and that every day is precious on this temporary Earth that He will take away someday.  And that He writes better stories than I do.  

Today, I am thankful for His presence and the Holy Spirit.  That He changes me and shapes me.  I am thankful for a country where I can still sit in a restaurant and read my Bible.  Where I can openly talk about the Lord.  I am thankful that He hears me.  That when I continue to ask for BIG things, He doesn't push me away.  

I am thankful for all of you that continue to ask God specifically too.  For complete healing.  For the hearts of all that love Scott.  For me.  There are days I can't do it and I know some of you are doing it for me!  I am thankful for the body of Christ and that we can meet.  Masked or not, we can meet and worship.  We are blessed.

What's to come is unknown.  We have a scan December 3rd and it will determine more chemo, radiation only, or some combo.  We are asking God to do things only He can do and eradicate the cancer completely!  What He does is His deal and I make clear that everything thus far is Him everywhere we go!  If you want to know how to pray, pray for December 3rd.  Pray for His glory!  

Happy Thanksgiving friends!  Give thanks to Him in all circumstances!  He is worth it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...