Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Stay in Today

Well, things change right?  Today, we thought we would be meeting with the oncologist to discuss the CT Scott had on Monday.  I tried hard not to get ahead of myself, but my mind started to plan for what he might say.  Is the cancer responding?  Maybe a miracle has already been happening!  I wanted to plan to celebrate... my humanity also wanted to prepare for harder news.  It's an emotional roller coaster looking ahead.

Instead, about 2:00 yesterday, Scott called leaving his primary care doctor and said that we needed to go to the ER; they thought he was in a-fib.  He came and got me and drove us to our 7 hour stay in KU's emergency room, which is nothing short of a movie scene!  His heart rate has been consistently high and stayed that way while we were there, in addition to a very elevated bp.  The ER docs got us in right away and began tests on his heart.  About 10:00 we were moved into a room to stay overnight.  Instead of our awaited appointment and round 3 of chemo today, we woke to an echocardiogram, an ultrasound of the heart, and many teams of doctors from cardiology to pulmonology to internal medicine. It's been a whirlwind.

I'll tell you, this morning, I wanted to stomp my feet a bit.  I was weary and sad and nervous and wanted today to be different!  But just because we aren't celebrating the cancer's response (we just don't know it yet and will reschedule), I'm reminded that we can celebrate right now.  I have to learn time and time again apparently to stay in todayCelebrate todayHope for today.  My plans are just that--mine-- and God has said over and over to stand.  That He is fighting.  That He holds the future.  Him.

So today, we choose to celebrate today!

  • There is nothing wrong with Scott's heart!  Absolutely nothing.  In fact, it wasn't really in a-fib after all and his heart function is excellent!
  • Being in the ER highlighted some fluid on or near one of his lungs which could be the cause of his elevated heart rate and some other mild discomfort.  We didn't know about this fluid, although it apparently has been on other scans.  Without his pcp doing an EKG and sending him to the ER, we still would not know. 
  • We saw numerous doctors and groups in a 24 hour time and almost everyone asked how we really were, stopped and listened, and thoroughly evaluated Scott like he mattered! They have tested and tested everything! We are so grateful!
  • People's specific prayers have been answered today regarding our care, the doctors, Scott's bp and heart rate and much more! 

Now, we sit in the hospital still to have the fluid near his lung drained.  We may even be able to go home today and sleep in our own bed!  Another reason to celebrate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...