Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Change of plans

 A practical update of sorts--Scott is not going to be starting drug therapy tomorrow as planned.  The Monday before last when we met with the oncologist, the plans for this week were made, still contingent on the results of a molecular breakdown from the last biopsy.  We were assured that those results would be back before the day of scheduled treatment--so that if we were given a more targeted drug approach, we would get that started instead of chemo.  As of today, those results were still not in so we suppose that it was assumed we would just start the 7 hour infusion of general chemo tomorrow. 

That just didn't sit well.  We have waited 4 additional weeks because the importance of the molecular breakdown had been emphasized.  And I could get into the nitty gritty of what these few days of waiting looks like for us.....of the warfare that comes, the confusion and fight to try to push for answers or just show up to the infusions without asking a question.  But this is a blog, not a therapy session. There's a strange tightrope we walk between taking action, advocating and fighting with the healthcare community and for Scott.....and just trusting because we know God is ultimately in charge here. 

Today, Scott decided to just trust.  He felt strongly that God had been in conversations recently about waiting for the molecular breakdown.  So as today went on, he felt like moving toward chemo tomorrow and "burning the house down" so to speak was premature.  We agonize over these decisions sometimes...but we called on some of our army to pray as we struggled.  And I believe Scott's peace he has in deciding to wait for the molecular breakdown before starting treatment is both the peace that comes from listening to the Lord and from many holding up our arms.   There's a whole lot of other jumbled up thoughts and emotions wrapped up in there...but that's basically it.  We are scheduled for treatment now September 2nd and expect to have the molecular breakdown before that. 

My mom shared a verse with me today, as she was squaring me up in a hard moment.  Romans 15:13 says: 

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."  

It's super meaty.  Fill you--in believing--power of the Holy Spirit, abound in hope.  In a margin of my Bible there, I have written hope: confident trust; expectation.  We do not know what God will do.  We don't know if we will be privy to the reason or purpose for all this waiting.  But we confidently trust with expectation that our God is up to something.  The Enemy scares us into believing that God doesn't have our best interest-that He's forgotten us-that He isn't active.  But we are waiting with expectation to be filled up in believing--while believing with all our weight-that God is here with us! That we are not forgotten.  And I am so grateful for today where Scott heard from the Lord and feels confident in that-even if it just gets us through to one more day.  

This is hard.  We have some raw, vulnerable moments that aren't pretty.  But today I pictured the people who were praying for us, just those praying today even, gathered in our backyard and I was so humbled, it choked me up.  We are very blessed and extremely covered.  Please don't stop. 

3 comments:

  1. Talking about faith is one thing walking in it is another. Praying for protection of your hearts and a calming from the devils arrows and darts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of you remain in my heart. I ask hat your prayers are answered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “There's a grace when the heart is under fire
    Another way when the walls are closing in
    And when I look at the space between
    Where I used to be and this reckoning
    I know I will never be alone
    There was another in the fire
    Standing next to me
    There was another in the waters
    Holding back the seas
    And should I ever need reminding
    Of how I've been set free
    There is a cross that bears the burden
    Where another died for me
    There is another in the fire”
    These lyrics came to me the other day when I was mowing. It is a sacred space for me. Mowing the lawn is some what therapy for me and a time I spend worshiping Jesus. Talking with Him and praying for loved ones. You, Scott & your beautiful family were weighing heavily on my heart & mind when this song came on. I hope it brings comfort and it remains a reminder. He is holding back the sea❤️

    ReplyDelete

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...