Thursday, October 7, 2021

He quit dismissing me


 "I quit dismissing you day".  I remember it was October 7th because it was the day before Logan's birthday.  We were shopping for her birthday gift, the day before, in true Scott fashion.  We had been friends for years.  Lots of banter and pushing buttons.  Lots of late night ministry conversations.  We spent years watching each other date other people.  One I even thought he might marry and I'd get invited to that wedding.  But the prior year had been different.  No dating anyone else for most of it.  I was in my Master's program, mooching food and cable off of him and Logan.  He was letting me hang around even after KU men's basketball lost and he didn't want to talk to anyone.  Our friendship was definitely changing.  

I remember people, women, trying to get to him by using me.  Because everyone knew I was the chic closest to him.  I knew I was in deep when I was getting set up with a guy and had to tell my friend (email because you know, 2007) and tell her that my heart was tied up elsewhere.  I would later find out he too was avoiding being set up about that same time.

One of the nights that year before, I was probably watching American Idol with Scott and Logan and Scott had cooked dinner.  Pretty sure it might have been one of the last nights he ever cooked dinner. ha  Anyway, I stayed and cleaned up after dinner and I remember driving home, feeling increasingly foolish.  "What am I doing?  I'm over there acting like his wife and I AM NOT his wife!"  I remember which bend of the road I was on heading back to my house in the middle of the night when God said "I'm not asking you to trust him, I'm asking you to trust Me".  It shut me right up.  "okay..." I thought.  No real clue what this would mean but I knew it hadn't been me.

So on October 7th, after some birthday shopping, Scott and I were at a restaurant when he started asking me some direct questions.  One was if I felt safe with him yet.  He was referencing me in my direct way at some point telling him he wasn't safe.  And then he said the famous words: I quit dismissing you.  I know, the most romantic words you've ever heard in your whole life!  Make a card.  Get a tattoo.  But what he was saying is that all the years before of being friends-of saying he wasn't he fairy tale for me-of ignoring what could be--he had finally quit dismissing the idea of me.  He quickly followed that with "Now don't get weird and start acting different". lol 

Somehow it went from October 7th to saying big words to being engaged and then married by May. It's not a lot of time but there are so many great details and stories wrapped up in those months.  So many confirmations and nuggets of God's faithfulness.  He got a little better with his phrases after that-- but I am forever grateful he quit dismissing me. 

1 comment:

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...